The internet is the modern-day “big bad wolf”. As useful and indispensable as it is; it is equally filled with monstrosities. Just ask anyone who has ever been phished or had their private information stolen. This is why you need the best VPN on your side.
Of course, there is no way we can stop using the internet. And this is why there are numerous VPN options to choose from. The truth is, we cannot possibly list all the available VPNs in the market. Also, if I am being completely honest, some of the options should not even see the light of day.
So, rather than endlessly drone about free VPNs that serve their own interests, how about our Top 10 Best VPN Providers in 2019? We list our best VPN options for you to choose from. They may cost a few more bucks a month, but you know your internet safety and security is a priority.
- 1 Top 10 Best VPN Providers
- 1.0.1 1.Express
- 1.0.2 Express Pricing
- 1.0.3 2. HotSpot Shield
- 1.0.4 HotSpot Shield Pricing
- 1.0.5 3. IPVanish
- 1.0.6 IPVanish Pricing
- 1.0.7 4. NordVPN
- 1.0.8 NordVPN Pricing
- 1.0.9 5. TunnelBear
- 1.0.10 TunnelBear Pricing
- 1.0.11 6. CyberGhost
- 1.0.12 CyberGhost Pricing
- 1.0.13 7. SurfShark
- 1.0.14 SurfShark Pricing
- 1.0.15 8. StrongVPN
- 1.0.16 StrongVPN Pricing
- 1.0.17 9. VyprVPN
- 1.0.18 VyprVPN Pricing
- 1.0.19 10. Private Internet Access
- 1.0.20 Private Internet Access Pricing
- 1.1 Bonus VPN
- 1.2 What is a VPN?
- 1.3 Uses of a VPN in the Day to Day Life
- 1.4 Why Affiliate Marketers need VPN
- 1.5 Wrapping Up
Top 10 Best VPN Providers
Express VPN is our number one leading VPN provider. And with good reason. For one, this is the fastest VPN with 3000+ VPN servers, 160 locations in 94 countries, and over 30,000 IP addresses. Plus, you can connect up to 5 devices simultaneously.
Essentially, Express VPN is loved for its impressive array of features. For one thing, their routers have custom firmware and robust VPN Browser Extensions. Also, you will love their strict No-logging policy, IP Masking, Split Tunnelling, Kill Switch, as well as the P2P Support. Moreover, you can connect pretty much to any platform including Mac, Windows, Linux, iOS, Android, Game Consoles, Smart TVs, and even Blackberry.
Perhaps Express VPN’s best feature is their knowledge-rich round the clock customer support. Not to forget that you can pay with Bitcoin!
Express VPN offers three pricing packages.
- $12.95 every month. You pay every month.
- $9.99 per month billed as $59.95 once every 6 months.
- $8.32 per month billed as $99.95 once every 12 months.
- Numerous servers
- Easy to use
- Allows torrenting and Netflix
- Vast array of powerful Apps
- You can pay by cryptocurrency
- Customer Support with 24/ Live Chat
- No free trial
- No demo video
Each VPN provider has a strong suit. And for HotSpot Shield, it’s Browsing. Plus, HotSpot Shield is perhaps one of the most powerful VPN providers to include a lifetime license.
But HotSpot Shield’s strongest attribute is speed and intuition. We reckon it’s because it operates over 3200 servers across 70+ locations. Still, on the subject of speed, HotSpot Shield features a unique Catapult Hydra VPN technology. This bad boy fuses multiple server connections to significantly boost speed.
HotSpot Shield connects 5 devices simultaneously.
Other awesome features include the industrial-grade encryption, unlimited browsing and bandwidth, no logging and one-click connection. Also, you will love the 7-day free trial as well as fair pricing.
HotSpot Shield Pricing
HotSpot Shield offers 3 pricing options
- $12.99 per month billed once every month
- $7.99 per month billed as $95.88 once per year
- $6.99 per month billed as $167.76 once every 2 years
The 1-year pricing plan is the most popular. Also, you will get a 45-day money-back guarantee.
HotSpot Shield Pros
- High speeds
- Solid encryption
- Free version available
- Great privacy features
- 7-day free trial
HotSpot Shield Cons
- Unavailable for Linux
- No offshore guarantee – based in the US
- Customer support is wanting
IPVanish is the self-proclaimed “fastest VPN service provider in the world“. Sure, we understand their enthusiasm given that they are the only Top Tier VPN provider in the market. However, if we were to tip our caps; it would be for their wholesome service delivery.
IPVanish owns all their servers. Cumulatively, they have 1300+ servers across 75 locations. Also, with IPVanish, you have 40,000 IP addresses at your disposal and connect up to 10 different devices at the same time.
I must point out that IPVanish comes with powerful adjustable Apps. They cover Android, Windows, Mac, iOS, and even Fire TV. We love that you can access speedy live chat customer support even from your Android and iOS mobile App.
Other features include unlimited P2P traffic, unlimited server switching, and strict no-logging policy. IPVanish uses 256-bit encryption, SOCKS5 Web Proxy, and IKEv2, Open VPN, and L2TP/IPSec VPN Protocols.
Admittedly, IPVanish is not the cheapest option. However, the quality of service is undeniable.
Below are the pricing options
- $10 per month billed once every month
- $8.99 per month billed as $26.99 once every 3 months
- $6.49 per month billed as $77.99 once yearly
IPVanish has a 7-day money-back guarantee.
- High download speeds
- Allows torrenting
- Zero logging policy
- Solid encryption
- Powerful configurable Apps
- No free trial
- iOS App lacks a kill switch
NordVPN is another formidable VPN option. It boasts over 5400 servers spread across 59 locations. Also, you can connect up to 6 devices at a go.
NordVPN features 2048-bit military-grade encryption backed by a strict No-logging policy. You will love the revolutionary features including SmartPlay for unblocking geo-restricted content, DNS Leak Protection, and Dedicated IP addresses. Moreover, NordVPN’s Kill Switch can be applied to the whole system or just specific Apps. Not to forget the Proxy Extensions for Chrome and Firefox browsers as well as the Onion over VPN extra layer of protection.
NordVPN offers a 30-day money-back guarantee. Additionally, you can pay by Cryptocurrency, PayPal or credit card.
NordVPN offers 4 pricing packages
- $11.95 per month if you want to pay monthly
- $6.99 per month billed as $83.88 once per year.
- $4.99 per month billed as $119.76 once every 2 years
- $3.49 per month billed as $125.64 once every 3 years.
- Intuitive interface for both Desktop and Mobile users
- Connects to devices at a go
- Ability to effectively bypass geo-restrictions
- Free privacy features including a free web proxy and a free YouTube proxy
- No bandwidth cap
- Unclear logging policy
- Reduced free trial from 7 days to 3 days
If I had one word to describe TunnelBear, it would be delightful. TunnelBear is without a doubt the simplest VPN to use. For one thing, it uses the simplest language possible plus it has some charming bear puns that add to the customer experience.
Bear puns aside, TunnelBear is a fairly small company compared to the other giants in the market. It operates 1000 servers in 20 locations and allows 5 devices at a go.
Further, TunnelBear has lots of clients software to choose from and a fairly affordable price point.
TunnelBear has a Free option for the clients who want to wait before committing to their service. As expected, the free service is quite limited offering only 500MB of data per month.
Other pricing options include:
- $9.99 per month billed every month
- $4.99 per month billed as $59.88 once every year
- Clear privacy policies
- Pleasant to use
- Plenty of software choices to choose from
- Includes a free version
- Provides blocking options for Ads, trackers, etc.
- Slow over long-distance connections
CyberGhost is undeniably one of the most popular VPN providers in the market. Indeed, there is something to be said about a VPN with a client base of over 10 million users. CyberGhost offers over 3700 servers in over 60 locations. Moreover, you can connect up to 7 devices. CyberGhost offers Apps in Windows, Mac, iOS, Android and is among the few VPNs to allow Torrents.
As far as geo-restrictions go, our favorite CyberGhost feature is the task-based user interface. CyberGhost is intuitive enough to automatically select the best servers for you.
This way, you don’t have to go through the exasperating process of selecting a server. In actuality, all you have to do is select the geo-blocked service. Straightaway, CyberGhost will choose the best server and automatically open a browser page at the target site. Isn’t that awesome!
Also, CyberGhost blocks Ads, trackers, and hostile websites and offers automatic HTTPS redirection. Plus, you can opt for data compression as well as switch off the VPN for certain Apps.
Desktop users get a 24-hour free trial.
CyberGhost is fairly priced by standard market prices.
It offers 4 pricing options
- $12.95 per month billed every month
- $5.95 per month billed as $71.4 yearly
- $4.15 per month billed as $99.6 once every 2 years
- $2.99 per month billed as $107.64 once every 3 years.
The 3-year pricing option comes with a 45-day money-back guarantee.
- Among the cheapest VPNs in the market
- Offshore guarantee – based in Bucharest
- Strict no-logging policy
- Connects to 7 devices
- Compatible with TOR and most of the other proxies
- Easy install and flawless user experience
- Desktop trial is only 24 hours
- Questionable parent company – Kape Technologies
- Historically not the fastest option.
SurfShark is a bit of a conundrum. You see, it is very basic while at the same time very functional.
At first glance, you probably would not understand why we chose to include SurfShark in our Top 10 list. But we have a good reason. For starters, SurfShark has a very basic look with a clean uncluttered interface. This is entirely on purpose so that the main function of connecting to a secure server can be easy and fast. Further, it has 800+ servers in 50+ locations and connects to an unlimited number of devices.
In essence, many people, especially those who love advanced features may not go for SurfShark. But anyone who appreciates simplicity or is new to VPNs will love it.
All the basic functions are spot on including OpenVPN, IKEv2, UDP and TCP security protocols as well as industry-standard 356-AES encryption. SurfShark also features a Kill Switch, Double VPN hop for that extra layer of protection, and Private DNS.
Compatible Apps include Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Linux, and Amazon Fire TV.
This is definitely among the cheapest VPN options in our Top 10 list. Pricing options include;
- $11.95 per month billed once every month
- $5.99 per month billed as $71.88 once yearly
- $1.99 per month billed as $47.76 once every 2 years.
Of course, the 2-year plan is the most affordable. It also comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Optimized for streaming
- Accepts cryptocurrency payments
- Broad device compatibility
- No Logs policy
- Unlimited Connections
- Static IPs
- Limited P2P servers and therefore slow speeds
StrongVPN is a bit of a minimalist VPN service provider. But don’t let that fool you; this VPN is as strong as they come. In fact, StrongVPN is known for being one of the fastest VPN options in the biz. This is attributed to a growing network of over 950 servers in 46 cities across 24 countries fronting over 59,000 IP Addresses. Also, you can connect up to 12 devices.
StrongVPN apps include Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS. It rocks all the standard protocols including L2TP, SSTP, OpenVPN, IPSec, and IKEv2. Further, StrongVPN flaunts a “Best Available Location” feature that ensures the quickest and fastest connection.
You will appreciate other features like their Zero-logging policy, customizable cookies, and unlimited speed. Perhaps the one discernable downside is the lack of a Kill Switch.
There are only 2 pricing options for StrongVPN.
- $10 per month billed every month
- $5.83 per month billed as $69.99 once every year
Both billing options come with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Among the best customer service in the biz
- Allows torrenting and P2P on all servers
- No logs
- Up to 12 simultaneous connections
- Outdated user interface
- Can be better with more servers
- Not the fastest
- Based in the US
VyprVPN recently had its servers, systems, and code independently audited. This is a ballsy move that has gone a long way in instilling trust among its users. Now, we can argue that VyprVPN is one of the most secure VPN service providers in the market.
To support our claims, VyprVPN runs a Zero-knowledge VyprDNS feature backed by Vypr Chameleon protocol. Both of these features are unusual but definitely worth every penny. Other core features include unlimited data usage, automatic connect, personalized kill switch, and multiple encryptions.
VyprVPN is compatible with Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Blackphone, Routers, QNAP, and Anonabox among others. You have 700+ servers in 70+ locations, and over 200,000 IP addresses to work with. VyprVPN allows up to 5 devices.
Even though there are no free trials, VyprVPN has a 30-day money-back guarantee policy.
VyprVPN offers 2 pricing plans; Basic and Premium pricing plans.
- Basic Plan charges $9.95 billed monthly or $5.00 per month billed as $60 yearly.
- Premium Plan costs $12.95 billed monthly or $6.67 per month billed as $80 yearly.
As you can see, the Basic Plan connects to 3 devices only while the Premium Plan allows 5 devices. Both plans offer the 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Advanced encryption
- Powerful configurable clients
- No logging policy – independently audited
- Manages its own servers as opposed to third parties
- Occasionally experiences issues with the Windows client
- Limited payment options
Private Internet Access is a well-loved VPN. For us, we love that it is modest enough to be affordable but also displays pretty high-end features.
First off, Private Internet Access operates over 3300 servers in 50+ locations across 32 countries. Further, you can connect up to 10 devices.
Next, Private Internet Access works with Windows, Android, iOS, Linux as well as browsers like Chrome, Firefox, and Opera. You will find all the industry-standard protocols including PPTP, OpenVPN, and L2TP/IPSec. To add a bow on top, Private Internet Access threw in expert-level extras like Port Forwarding and SOCKS5.
And finally, Private Internet Access unveils privacy-related high-end extras like Flash blocking, Cookie cleaning, and Camera and Microphone protection. Clearly, even though this is not the best VPN service provider ever, it is a formidable contender.
Private Internet Access Pricing
There are 3 pricing options for Private Internet Access VPN
- $6.95 per month billed monthly
- $5.99 per month billed as $35.95 every 6 months
- $3.33 per month billed as $39.95 yearly.
All the pricing options enjoy a 7-day money-back guarantee.
Private Internet Access Pros
- Solid encryption
- No DNS leaks
- Anonymous payment options
- Easy fast installation
- Allows torrenting
- 7-day money-back guarantee
- No bandwidth cap
Private Internet Access Cons
- Unusual Windows client
- Based in the US – No overseas guarantee
- Limited Live Chat feature
- No free plan
As you have seen, those are our best VPN options to try. That being said, there are still other top VPN providers worth mentioning. Our pick for the bonus top VPN option is HMA VPN.
11. HMA VPN
HMA, formerly Hide My Ass, is a widely popular VPN option. It is owned by Avast.
In the recent past, HMA has come under some heat because of its logging policy. It is imperative that we clarify HMA’s logging policy to you, so you can make an informed decision.
HMA admits to some level of logging. Among the items logged are Timestamps of every session [connect and disconnect], Subnet of the IP address used and the VPN proxy IP address assigned to you, and the amount of data uploaded and downloaded.
In essence, if this is all HMA logs, you are not at risk. Especially because the IP addresses only appear partially. Plus, they delete the logs after every 30 days.
However, whether or not that is all HMA logs remains to be seen. Perhaps it would help if they would subject their system to an independent audit as TunnelBear does.
That aside, HMA is a robust, highly reliable VPN with over 1000 servers, 290+ locations in over 190 countries. This network distribution is impressive especially the vast locations and countries.
Also, you can use HMA on 5 devices simultaneously. HMA is compatible with Windows Mac, Android, iOS, and Linux. You will love the system-wide Kill Switch as well as its affinity for streaming.
As far as pricing, HMA offers 3 options as follows
- $11.99 a month billed monthly
- $6.99 monthly billed as $83.88 once a year
- $4.29 per month billed as $154.44 once every 36 months.
- Large selection of servers
- Effective System-wide Kill Switch
- Perfect for streaming
- Live Chat support
- Some level of logging
- Pricey comparatively
- Limited configuration
- Does not accept crypto payments
What is a VPN?
VPN is an acronym for Virtual Private Network. It is a mobile or computing App that creates a secure tunnel between 2 or more devices. Ultimately, your internet connection is routed through remote servers thereby protecting your private web traffic from prying eyes.
In truth, the importance of a VPN cannot be overstated. It encrypts your data, masks your IP address, and protects you both from hostile 3rd parties as well as snoopers and eavesdroppers.
For this reason, you must always have a VPN installed at all times.
Uses of a VPN in the Day to Day Life
While the primary need for a VPN is protection, there is so much more that a VPN connection does for you. Here are some more uses for VPN.
- For starters, a VPN connection allows you to upload and download files securely. Lately, torrent files have come under heavy surveillance. Even when the files are not illegal, it is more than likely that you will end up on a “list” for downloading or sharing these files. To be on the safe side, it is vital to have a VPN on your device.
- Secondly, it is only a VPN that can allow you to watch YouTube and other streaming sites without issues. You see, most Internet Service Providers have a habit of throttling their users’ bandwidth. More particularly, when you are streaming videos or playing games. Therefore, masking your web activities even from your ISP is a big plus.
- Thirdly, you gravely need VPN, especially when accessing public WI-FI. Public WI-FIs are Petri dishes of internet bad guys, phishers, malware, and spyware. You have to automatically encrypt everything! That’s not all. If you are bound to use a public internet connection, ensure you have the whole shebang [VPN, Antivirus, Firewall, and a DNS system].
- Forth, VPNs enable you to save money on flights, car rentals, and online shopping. At first, this sounds like a far fetched idea; I assure you it isn’t. In reality, geolocation often determines how much you will pay for goods and services. When you are doing any online purchases it is always better if the dealers don’t know where you are. Some companies use your browzing data to gauge your interests and charge you more.
Why Affiliate Marketers need VPN
As an affiliate marketer myself, I know how indispensable a VPN is to my business. In case you are not sure why here are a few pointers.
- Bypass Geo-restrictions. Some affiliate offers have geo-restrictions therein. Consequently, if you fall within the restricted areas, you can’t access critical marketing assets like Landing Pages. A good VPN will eliminate all the restrictions enabling you to reach your target market with your offers.
- Safely use public Wi-FI. Often, affiliate marketers need to travel. This inevitably means you will end up using public wifi a lot. There is no safe way to use a public internet connection without a VPN.
- Accurate Competitor Research. If I were to call a spade a spade, I would call this “competitor research” spying. Part of an affiliate marketer’s job is to keep up with the competition and emerging trends. Without a VPN, you will only get results relevant to your location. Unfortunately, these results are not a reflection of the actual situation. Therefore, you need a VPN to get full information and make informed decisions.
- Avail your offers to the right audience. Many affiliate marketers run more than one website and often in different countries. Of course, all these countries have different regulations on advertising and other marketing policies. in keeping up with your different audiences and their different needs, it is imperative to have a VPN. Ultimately, a good VPN can help you avoid some costly mistakes.
Clearly, the importance of a VPN cannot be overemphasized. And not just any VPN, but a powerful VPN that offers more than bare bones. All in all, we are positive that you can find a suitable VPN from our Top 10 list above.
Please share your thoughts and experiences with us. We love to hear from you.